Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Lion in the White House: A Life of Theodore Roosevelt by Aida D. Donald


I rose like a rocket.” – Theodore Roosevelt

Indeed, before he became the youngest president in U.S. history at age 42, Theodore Roosevelt had done it all. He was a New York assemblyman, assistant secretary of the Navy, New York governor, a Rough Rider, New York police commissioner, a cowboy, and an author.

This was why I had a problem with this book. For a man who accomplished so much for the American people and later the world, I didn’t think a 269 page biography was enough to cover his life. In my opinion, a timeline would have been a nice addition to the book. I also felt like the book was rushed through and the language, though simple, was very mechanical. It was boring, even though Theodore Roosevelt was an interesting person.

I found that this book only excelled in giving a generalized view of Theodore Roosevelt’s life, but unfortunately it didn’t give me a chance to find out more about the former president.

I actually bought Edmund Morris’ The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt which chronicled his from his childhood to being the vice president of the United States. I also plan to buy Morris’ Theodore Rex which talked about his years in the White House as president.

I think that A Lion in the White House: A Life of Theodore Roosevelt could have been written better. Theodore Roosevelt was larger than life so I was very disappointed when I finished this book.

My take: Save your money. Don’t buy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment