Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Monogamous Reading


I just started reading The Rose of Sebastopol by Katherine McMahon. I was curious to see why it became an interenational best-seller so I ended up buying it.

I began reading this on Sunday while I was at work (It was Easter so I had some downtime), and I learned very quickly that this was one of the books that you can't "cheat" with others. This was a book that was not to be played around with. I'm not saying that I'm not enjoying it, but this novel confused the heck out of me because there were not just two story timelines that needed to be followed…but three! Oh, good grief.

The Rose of Sebastopol reminded me when I was reading The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. (Haven’t read it? You should.) The Time Traveler’s Wife was complicated to read at first because they were told in different timelines by two different characters, Henry and Claire. I later decided to read it in Claire’s point of view, even though some chapters were told in Henry’s. Sounds confusing? Yes. Great read? You bet!

I usually "cheat" and read two or three books at a time, but I am going to be faithful to The Rose of Sebastopol.

5 comments:

  1. Ooo I love The Time Traveler’s Wife maybe I'll try to read that book also. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey
    I just wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for a Lovely Blog award
    http://truecrimebookreviews.blogspot.com/2009/04/lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yvette, how sweet of you. Thanks!

    kwesifriends, The Time Traveler's Wife was wonderful. It's one of my favorites. I have a great feeling about The Rose of Sebastopol too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, The Time Traveler's Wife, what a wonderful book!! I did love that book, but man it was difficult at first. Did you ever finish Emma and Me by Elizabeth Flock? I'll have to read this one once I'm done with my Nicholas Sparks novel. Helen, I do so miss you!! Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Christy, girl!!! Thanks for visiting! :D I miss you too. Yes, I've finished reading Emma and Me by Elizabeth Flock. (I did give that back to you, right? LOL.) I enjoyed Emma...and in the end, it was like WTF? LOL. What Nicholas Sparks book are you reading? Is it The Lucky One? That was a very good book!

    Come by again soon. I will be doing more reviews as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete