Sunday, April 5, 2009

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford


Now a national best seller, this debut novel has become one of my favorite books. Set in Seattle during the 1940's, this is the story of Henry Lee, son of Chinese immigrants. Though he is an American citizen, he endures the prejudice of his peers. Yet he gains a friend in Keiko Okabe, a Japanese American. Their friendship blossoms into something deeper but their happiness doesn't last long after Keiko is forced to be separated from Henry.

I won't go any further than that because I don't want to ruin the ending. I was so touched by this book that I actually emailed the author (something I had never done before) and thanked him for writing such marvelous work. Mr. Ford was nice enough to reply.

This book gets high recommendations from me. I think readers will find this enjoyable and well worth reading.


1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed the book. I hope to read it for the challenge at some point, too. I've posted about your review here.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete