Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Buy Two, Get One Free

Last Thursday, I went to Barnes and Noble. They were having a “Buy Two Books, get One for Free” sale. As a card-carrying book addict, how can I pass up the chance?

When I arrived at the bookstore, I had a difficult time trying to choose which books to buy. The books on sale were all piled on one table. I was hoping for more selections, but I suppose the branch was trying to get rid of these books. I thought of buying from their website since there were more choices, but I always hesitated to buy books online.

Before choosing a book, I scanned a few pages. I looked at the first few sentences of a novel to see how much of an impact they have. Check out the beginning of Michael Palmer’s The Fifth Vial:

Hold still, now. This won’t hurt a bit.

They're simple words, but immediately the reader is pulled right away into the novel, and hopefully, the interest is held throughout the story.

I’ve digressed a little…so…here were the books I’ve added to my book collection:

1. Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian
2. The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz
3. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

I’m pretty excited to read them. They’re all historical novels and best sellers. I’m not sure if which one I should do a review on though. I’m leaning towards Skeletons at the Feast, since I’m a huge fan of reading about World War II, whether it’s pre, during or post. On the other hand, I’ve heard some great reviews about Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, and I’m enthusiastic to see what the fuss was all about. I’ll know soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment