Friday, June 26, 2009

Read, Reflect, Repeat

One day after work, I decided to check out a small independent bookstore in Deridder, which is about 20 miles away from my town. The bookstore not only offered bestsellers and new books, but also sold used books. Since my funds were pretty limited due to moving out of state, I decided to walk over to the used books section. Lo and behold, I saw the Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery.

How I loved the Anne of Green Gables series! I read the first two books when I was in the fifth grade. By the seventh grade, I had read all the series. (It took me awhile to find the rest of the books.) Never tired of Anne Shirley, I re-read them again when I was in the eighth grade.

The Anne of Green Gables series weren't the only books I read multiple times. I enjoyed The Little Women by Louisa May Alcott so much that I lost count how many times I borrowed it from the library. I was in the sixth grade then. Of course, now I own a copy of the Little Women and the Anne of Green Gables series so there's no more frequent trips to the school library.

I never got tired re-reading Sidney Sheldon's The Stars Shine Down. It was a rags to riches story of a woman named Lara. The story was simple but the character, though successful, had her flaws. Lara was someone I was able to relate to (though I'm not, by all means, rich) so I believed that was why I kept re-reading the book.

Even though I knew who the perpetrators were in Michael Palmer's The Fifth Vial, I still kept coming back to this book. The story had so many twists, and it was exciting from the beginning to the end.

How about you, fellow reader? What books have you re-read? How many times? Once? Twice? Perhaps you've read more than that? And why? What made you keep coming back to this book? Was it the plot? Was it the character? Please share. I'd love to hear your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment