Friday, July 10, 2009

Sites to See

It's been almost a week since my last entry. Apologies, my dear readers. My new work schedule is a little weird. I work for seven days straight and then I'm off for seven days. Yesterday, which was my first day off, all I did was sleep all day. I remember using the bathroom and eating once, but the rest of the time, I devoted it to rest.

I'm supposed to do my reviews tonight, but my mind is just in a fog right now. I will do them sometime this weekend.

I have been doing absolutely nothing tonight except visiting other sites, and I found two that may just be added to my reading collection. My blog is mostly about books and book reviews but sometimes I'd like to talk about other things. Otherwise, it can get boring, don't you think?

Since I live in America, most of the books I have read are by American authors. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I feel that my reading material is pretty limited. Every once in awhile, I wonder about what kind of stories do international authors have to tell about their country, their people, their customs, and their history. This is where Words Without Borders come in.

Based here in the US, Words Without Borders is a nonprofit online magazine from international authors. The stories posted here are translated into English. They also published a book called Literature from the Axis of Evil, which is made of writings from Iran, Iraq, North Korea, and other countries that the US have had some bad relations with. I think that would be an interesting read though. Sometimes, I think that we are so blinded by the everyday headlines of these countries that we forget that they are people too. And maybe...there are those who love to read just like us.

If you're like me who loves to read anything that has to do with world history, you might enjoy visiting History World. It's a giant online encyclopedia devoted to world history. There are timelines and articles. The articles written vary from broad to specific subjects of history. Being in the medical field, I particularly found the History of Medicine very informative. Under the subject of Surgery, they featured articles such as Minoans performing trephination, which is the scraping of the skull to let the demons escape. They also have an article titled John of Ardene and Anal Fistula. Anal fistula is a surgical procedure done if there's an abscess in the anus which is caused by prolonged horse riding. Ouch! It's a good thing cars were invented.

There you have it, fellow readaholics. Two sites to check out when you're out and about the web. I've definitely added them to my reading collection...although I probably won't read the anal fistula article again. Ugh.

Happy reading. ^_~

No comments:

Post a Comment